When automating your organization, do you opt for a software system with the standard features developed by the software partner, or do you choose a system that has been custom-developed for your organization?
The big advantage of customized business software
You get exactly what you ask for! And many people like that. With a customized solution, you don't have to change or adapt. You can continue to work exactly as you are used to.
The many disadvantages of customized business software
You ask for customized business software to be developed, because the standard software does not do the job for your organization. Because your processes, requirements or objectives are unique, you need functionality developed especially for you. And in some cases that is quite justifiable; the piece of custom functionality can actually deliver you a cost saving or profit increase that outweighs the costs of the customization. But in many cases, there is another way to solve your problem and companies do not sufficiently consider the many disadvantages of customized business software:
- It is expensive to develop: research, design, development, testing, implementation, consultation, re-work, training. Even a small piece of custom functionality takes hours of work.
- It makes the implementation more complicated and longer: when implementing standard software you know what needs to be done, but with customizations things are new and you encounter unexpected things.
- Support can become a problem: Getting support on your customized software can be difficult. Is the support consultant familiar with your customizations? Are the people who were involved in developing the customizations still working for the company?
- Upgrading becomes expensive and complicated: If you want to upgrade to a new version of your business software, your custom functionality may have to be partially or even completely redeveloped and implemented.
- You get what you ask for, not what you need: Perhaps the biggest disadvantage. While you think customizations solve your problems, that does not have to be. A customization for an inefficient process will not bring you any good. And for complex customizations, it is very difficult to meet expectations and develop the perfect solution.
"A specialist in your industry helps you to optimize processes and supports these processes with a standard application."
My advice: stick to the standard
Work with standard software as much as possible. Easier said than done, because what do you do with those areas of your organization for which the standard system does not provide what you need? By choosing the right software partner and the right software system you prevent customizations:
- Choose a flexible solution that you can expand and adapt: When selecting business software, make sure you choose a system that can be easily expanded, adapted and upgraded. More users, new modules, external applications, new releases, interfaces and integrations; can the solution grow with you without customizations?
- Choose a proven successful, industry-specific solution: An industry-specific system implemented at companies that are similar to yours will most likely contain the functionality you need. With a generic software system or a system that is being implemented for the first time in your industry, chances are that you lack functionality and customizations are required.
- Choose a software partner with industry knowledge and experience: Not only the software, but also your software partner plays a crucial role in limiting customizations. A specialist in your industry helps you to optimize processes and supports these processes with a standard application. In the future, an industry specialist will also ensure that new requirements and wishes are met in the standard.
At Dysel we help equipment management organizations. Want to know more about how we help you with an industry-specific standard software system? Get in touch with us!